Cataracts are a common eye condition that often develops with age, causing a clouding of the eye's natural lens. As this condition progresses, it can significantly impact vision, making it crucial to understand the symptoms, undergo regular eye exams, and explore available treatments at Engle Eyewear in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
What are Cataracts?
Cataracts occur when the clear lens inside the eye becomes cloudy, affecting vision. This clouding prevents light from passing easily through the lens, leading to blurry or hazy vision. Most people will experience them to some degree as they get older - time to have a cataracts screening.
Symptoms of Cataracts
An eye doctor can spot the symptoms of cataracts which is essential for seeking timely intervention. Common signs include:
- Blurry Vision: Individuals with cataracts often experience progressively blurry vision that cannot be corrected with glasses.
- Increased Sensitivity to Glare: Cataracts may cause heightened sensitivity to bright lights and glare, making activities like driving at night challenging.
- Fading of Colors: Colors may appear dull or faded.
- Double Vision: Cataracts can lead to double vision in one eye.
Comprehensive Eye Exam
Early detection of cataracts is crucial for effective management. Regular eye exams, including a thorough assessment of the lens's clarity, enable optometrists to identify cataracts in their early stages. These exams are particularly important for individuals over the age of 60, as age-related cataracts are common.
While cataracts cannot be prevented, several treatment options are available to restore clear vision:
- Prescription Glasses: In the early stages, changes to prescription glasses may help improve vision.
- Surgery: When cataracts significantly impair vision and impact daily life, surgical intervention becomes necessary. During cataract surgery, the cloudy lens is removed and replaced with an artificial intraocular lens (IOL). This outpatient procedure is highly successful, and patients often experience a rapid improvement in vision.
Choosing the Right Path
Determining the appropriate treatment path requires a thorough examination and discussion with an optometrist. Factors such as the progression of cataracts, overall eye health, and the impact on daily activities will influence the decision-making process.
Understanding cataracts, recognizing their symptoms, and seeking regular eye exams are crucial for maintaining clear vision. With advancements in optometric care, effective treatments, including surgery, can significantly enhance the quality of life for those affected by cataracts. If you suspect cataracts or have concerns about your eye health, consult with your optometrist for personalized guidance and care.
See Our Optometrist for Eye Disease Management
Are you looking for an eye doctor near you? When you need your eye exam, call our Wilkes-Barre office and make your appointment for your eye care. Call Engle Eyewear today at (570) 208-1111. We also serve Scranton, Hazleton, and Kingston, PA.